Saturday, March 03, 2012

a muse.

I've been thinking about the topic of the writer's muse and am intrigued, but by no means surprised, that the idea is usually embodied by a female; to accent the role of writer being historically embodied by the masculine. I realise this is antiquated, but am, myself, unfree of its impositions; my muse(s) [it changes depending on the project] definitely fit into this mold, and so do I into that of the useless-writer when they are, let's say, missing.

I'm curious, lady-writers specifically but i would love to hear any writer's take on this: does this idea of having a muse translate to you?

3 comments:

Katie said...

Interesting question. If we're talking about a specific person who provides the inspiring force behind a work, then yes, I've had muses, both male and female (they definitely change from project to project).

If we're thinking of muses as more of a guiding, writerly spirit, then I tend to think of mine more along the lines of left-brain/right-brain theory (though I know the brain is far more complex). While the left-brain consciously works on the project, the right-brain quietly chugs away in the corner. Every so often it tosses an idea/insight over the wall, and voila! Inspiration!

Again, I know the brain doesn't really work that way, but it's a useful image for me. However, I think the presence of a Muse Type 1does make the right-brain's job a lot easier!

Peter C. said...

Neat question.
The female muse is something that I have never personally understood.For me the creative impulse orriginates from a sense of place as opposed to something anthropomorphic. I get obsessed with it just as much, but it's comprised of the sublime and atmospheric as opposed to human or romantic qualities.

Andrew said...

I agree with being inspired by a place as well; that's usually how the ideas for my projects begin but when I get to the human elements of them I then usually latch on to a human muse, often times unconsciously.

I feel the muse-as-person is a more self-conscious need of acceptance, or the need to impress another, even if they never read/see/hear/watch it.

I like the image of an idea being thrown over the wall, like an item suddenly appearing in a videogame.